Munchies 4 The Military: Community Effort to Send 2,000 Care Packages to Active Service Men and Women Deployed Abroad
Henderson is a community with heart and its residents are accustom to expressing their appreciation and spreading goodwill. The Douglas J. Green Memorial Foundation, Inspirada, and the City of Henderson are joining efforts to acknowledge and express their gratitude by sending care packages to active service men and women. But, we can’t do it without your help.
Suni Chabrow, the founder of Douglas J. Green Memorial Foundation, created the nonprofit organization in memory of her late son, SPC Douglas J. Green. SPC Green was killed in action on Aug. 28, 2011, during his second tour in Afghanistan.The Foundation works to “provide comfort and support to service members and their family members through sending thoughtful and useful care packages during their deployments and planning memorable experiences for service members to look forward to once they return home.”
Each care package costs about $40 for content and shipping which is considerable with an aggressive goal of 2,000 care packages, but with the generosity of families and individuals throughout our community donating a few items or dollars the goal becomes achievable.
Something as simple as a care package provides a little touch of home, especially during long days foran active-duty service member. Often these servicemen are in foreign areas that lack reminders or comforts of home. Opening a box to see your favorite chips that you haven’t eaten in months or baby wipes to freshen up in between bouts of exhaustion can drastically improve the morale of our soldiers.
Munchies 4 The Military – How You Can Help
There are multiple ways to help us reach our goal.
Donate items. Donations will be accepted from January 8 through February 10. The boxes will be filled with wish list items like breakfast items, snack foods, jerky, nuts, dried fruit, trail mix, chips, granola bars, gum, candy, cookies, soups, protein bars, and baby wipes. The next time you’re at the grocery store, throw in a few extra items to help make a soldier’s day. Donations will be accepted Jan. 8.-Feb. 10. Drop-off locations:
Liberty High School, 2700 Liberty Heights Ave. 89052
Wallin Elementary School, 2333 Canyon Retreat Dr. 89044
City of Henderson City Hall, 200 Water St. 89015
Inspirada Solista Community Center, 2000 Via Firenze 89044
Jolly Beans Café (located in Inspirada, 2016 Via Firenze 89044
Jolly Mart (located in Inspirada), 2016 Via Firenze 89044
City Hall-DSC, 240 Water St. 89015
City Hall Front Entrance off Water St. by City Clerk’s, 240 Water St. 89015
City of Henderson Recreation Centers
– Downtown Senior Center, 27 E. Texas Ave. 89015
– Heritage Park Senior Facility, 300 S. Racetrack Rd. 89015
– Heritage Park Aquatics, 310 S. Racetrack Rd. 89015
– Whitney Ranch Aquatics, 1575 Galleria Dr. 89014
– Black Mountain Recreation Center, 599 Greenway Rd. 89015
– Downtown Recreation Center/Admin Bldg., 105 Basic Rd. 89015
– Multigenerational Center, 250 S. Green Valley Pkwy. 89012
– Silver Springs Recreation Center, 1950 Silver Springs Pkwy. 89074
– Valley View Recreation Center, 500 Harris St. 89074
– Whitney Ranch Rec Center, 1575 Galleria Dr. 89014
Inspirada Model Sales Centers
– Reliance Collection by Beazer Homes, 3040 Savella Ave. 89044
– Park Collection by Beazer Homes, 2645 Ornate Regiment St. 89044
– Sestina by Century Communities, 3089 Hushed Sonnet Ave. 89044
– Enclaves, Landings, Reserves, and Terraces by KB Home, 3126 Biancavilla Ave. 89044
– Escala and Montero by Pardee Homes, 3062 Deruta Ave. 89044
– Strada by Pardee Homes, 2212 Via Firenze 89044
– Veneto and Fortana by Toll Brothers, 3087 Amoruccio Court 89044
Online Monetary Donations. We’ll also need help covering the cost of shipping, $17.00 per care package. Donate today.
Volunteer. On Saturday, February 11, from 1-3 p.m., volunteers will meet at the lunch room of Liberty High School to assemble the care packages. Wishlist items and a letter from school children, thanking them for their service, will be placed in each box, the boxes are sealed and loaded onto a truck to be brought to the post office for postage and shipping. No registration required for volunteering, just show up. All ages are welcome.
Our Nation’s service men and women are risking their lives every day for our country, our freedom and freedom abroad. Spending a few extra dollars to purchase some granola bars or to cover shipping is an easy way to say thank you. So, what are we waiting for? Residents of Henderson homes, let’s do this! We’ll have multiple donation drop-off locations in Inspirada: Solista Community Center, Jolly Beans Café, Jolly Mart, and the Inspirada model home sales centers. Use our community map to easily find the locations!
Questions? Contact Suni from the Douglas J. Green Memorial Foundation at (702) 845-9171.
Check us out in the news: