Ask each of the more than 269,000 residents of Henderson why they chose to live in Nevada’s second largest city, and you will probably receive more than a few reasons. But given the city’s stellar reputation both statewide and nationally, the following five features will more than likely make everyone’s list:
1) Henderson takes its parks seriously: Numerous, nearby parks; 65 miles of trails; and an award-winning parks and recreation department were just a few of the reasons why Henderson made Money Magazine’s Top 100 List of Best Places to Live in 2012. The city features access to Lake Mead National Recreation Area and the Colorado River, mountain elevations of more than 4,000 feet and coves and canyons for exploring. Affordable homes and no state income tax also made the city attractive to Money Magazine editors. Bloomberg Businessweek weighed in, ranking Henderson No. 14 on its list of America’s 50 Best Cities in 2011.
2) Safety is a priority: Another national magazine, Forbes, recognized Henderson for its commitment to keeping its residents safe. Forbes factored in Henderson’s relatively high median income, low poverty rate and low tourism traffic to place it second on its annual list of America’s 10 Safest Cities. Henderson also placed sixth in the Top 10 Safest Cities in America, based on information released by Law Street Media, a web site covering law and policy that relies upon national FBI violent crime data.
3) Students attend collaborative schools: As of 2012, the Clark County School District was the fifth largest school district in the U.S. with approximately 315,000 students and 39,000 employees.2 Students who live in Inspirada are anticipated to attend the Clark County schools of Shirley and Bill Wallin Elementary School, a high achieving, active Empowerment school; Del E. Webb Middle School, recognized for providing a superior academic curriculum; or Liberty High School, which offers a Classical Studies program. Parents are encouraged to consult with the school district for their students’ specific school assignments.
4) Year-round events draw people out: The City of Henderson celebrates its great weather, natural beauty and active residents with monthly and annual programs designed to bring people together. From seasonal festivals to sporting events, outdoor theatre to fireworks, parades to citywide contests, Henderson invites its residents to come outside, get involved and have fun. Henderson is also the location for some of the most dynamic fitness events in the world. For example, on Oct. 5, 2014, it will be a returning host of the Iron Man World Championship 70.3 ultimate endurance competition.
5) The Strip is easily accessible: Henderson residents use the main arteries of US 95, I-15 and I-215 to gain easy access to downtown Las Vegas and the Strip, where more than 39,727,000 tourists visited in 2012.3
Did your reason make the list? If not, share what you love about Henderson on the Inspirada Facebook page.