Happy summer vacation to the students and teachers at that Robert and Sandy Ellis Elementary School!
This Clark County School District School has quickly become a beloved part of the Inspirada community. Along with the public charter school, Pinecrest Inspirada, our neighborhood has two schools that Inspirada families can choose from inside our master-planned community.
As the Robert and Sandy Ellis Elementary School wraps up their first official school year we are taking a look back at highlights from this year.
Ellis Elementary kicked off the school year by sorting their students, teachers, and parents into a “house.” Similar to Harry Potter, the school has 6 houses, each with its own house animal representative and theme. Throughout the school year, house members are awarded points for good behavior. Each quarter, the houses that have the most house points win prizes and fun events.
Awards, Accolades, & Giving Back
- The fourth- and fifth-grade robotics teams competed in the Vex IQ Robotics Challenge. During the NV State Competition, Ellis Robotics Teams placed 13thand 16thout of 22.
- In February, Mr. Swick received a McDonald’s grant for technology for his music room.
- Ellis Eagles participated in the Science Olympiad. Two 5thgraders took first place in the Crime Busters category, two 4thgraders received first place in the Mystery Architecture category, and two 5thgraders earned fourth place in the Chopper Challenge category.
- The Ellis Eagles — along with the Inspirada community— held a shoe drive for Kit Carson Elementary.
Fun Field Trips
- Kindergarten students enjoyed a trip to the Gilcrease Orchard in October, during pumpkin picking season.
- Ellis Elementary 4thgraders went to a science camp at Pali Institute in Running Springs, California.
- On October 6, Ellis Elementary hosted a Parents Night Out where pizza, crafts, and STEM challenges were offered.
- In December, the Ellis Elementary PTA hosted a Holiday Ornament Paint Party.
- February also saw the Apex Fun Run, Pastries with Parents (by the PTA), and the infamous snow day where Ellis Elementary was covered in white!
- April 22-26 was career week, where Ellis has guest speakers like the Clark County School District Police Canine Department, geologist Rebecca Ely (from the Nevada Division of Minerals), and more.
- Teacher Appreciation Week happened in May, and the PTA delivered snacks, lunch, desserts, and drinks for teachers and staff throughout the week.
- A Field Day happened on May 10, where students got to play water games, enjoy snow cones, and place a soccer game.
- On May 15, there was an Eagle Pride Showcase, where families could meet the teachers and administration that will head up the 2019-2020 school year and tour the school.
Whew. Ellis Elementary had a busy first year. Did your family have any students at Ellis Elementary this first year? Curious about the other schools near the Inspirada community? Check out this blog.